EXTRA is a program that offers organized soccer for players who want to play at a more competitive level.
EXTRA gives athletes whose interests and abilities lead them to a more progressive soccer experience. You can feel secure knowing your child is part of a trusted organization and will be given fair playing time. EXTRA doesn’t take away from the regular program. It adds to the strength of the organization by keeping players and their families in AYSO.
Each Region determines the organization of EXTRA play to suit its needs and numbers. However, AYSO’s core philosophies are still in place: everyone on the team plays at least 50 percent of each game; selection to teams is based on open and fair evaluations; and the teams are chosen to create a competitive balance.
Also, EXTRA players that participate in the primary program at the same time can participate fully with both teams as well as All Star, tournament, National Games, and travel teams. Players playing only on an EXTRA team are eligible for tournament, travel, or other secondary program teams.
EXTRA can only be offered in areas with a regular AYSO program and is coordinated with the support of local leadership. No paid coaches or referees are allowed. All AYSO standards for training and certification for coaches and referees are in place.
Why Chose EXTRA?
We understand that you may have a choice of soccer programs for your child. So, why choose EXTRA? EXTRA was developed to create more competitive soccer experiences without losing sight of what makes AYSO unique.
EXTRA is governed by the Six Philosophies that set AYSO apart from other youth soccer organizations:
- Everyone Plays - Our goal is for kids to play soccer. So we mandate that every player on every team must play at least a half of every game.
- Balanced Teams - Each year we form teams as evenly balanced as possible. It is fair and more fun when teams of equal ability play.
- Open Registration - Our program is open to all children. Interest and enthusiasm are the only criteria for playing. Players not selected for EXTRA teams are guaranteed placement on a team in AYSO's standard primary program.
- Positive Coaching - Encouragement of player effort provides for greater enjoyment and learning by the players. This ultimately leads to better-skilled and better-motivated players.
- Good Sportsmanship - We strive to create a positive environment based on mutual respect rather than a win-at-all-costs attitude. Every AYSO program is designed to instill good sportsmanship in all participants.
- Player Development - We believe that all players should be able to develop their soccer skills and knowledge to the best of their abilities, both individually and as members of a team, in order to maximize their enjoyment of the game.
In addition, EXTRA is run and operated locally, by the same neighbors who run and operate all of AYSO's programs. Furthermore, it is supported by an extraordinary national organization. Also, EXTRA coaches are trained under AYSO's coaching program, the only youth soccer coaching program accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Coaching Education. Fourth, EXTRA is more challenging quality soccer at a less challenging cost than similar programs. Finally, EXTRA is designed to be fun. A higher level of competition should never prevent players from enjoying themselves—the AYSO Way.